Welcome to our blog, where we have all the resources you need to make your ESL classroom a lively and engaging space for your students! Today, we are diving into a topic that is sure to capture the imagination of both you and your students: Monsters Inc. This beloved animated film has captured the hearts of children and adults alike, with its lovable monsters, imaginative storyline, and important lessons about friendship and acceptance. In this blog post, we will explore how you can incorporate the world of Monsters Inc. into your ESL lessons, providing you with fun and educational activities that will keep your students motivated and eager to learn. So, let’s get started on this monstrous adventure together!
ESL Speaking Questions About Monsters Inc
Beginner ESL Questions about Monsters Inc
- What is the name of the movie about monsters working at a company?
- Who are the two main characters in Monsters Inc?
- What do the monsters collect in the movie?
- Why do the monsters collect screams?
- What happens when a child’s bedroom door is left open?
- Who is the little girl that the monsters meet?
- What is the name of the big blue monster?
- What color is Sulley’s fur?
- Who becomes friends with Boo?
- What does Boo call Sulley?
- Who is the CEO of Monsters Inc?
- What happens when Boo laughs?
- What are the monsters afraid of in the movie?
- Where do the monsters work?
- What is the name of the rival company in the movie?
- What is the purpose of the scare simulator at Monsters Inc?
- What is the name of the little green one-eyed monster?
- How do the monsters generate power for their city?
- What do the monsters use to travel between the human world and the monster world?
- How do Sulley and Mike save Boo at the end of the movie?
Intermediate ESL Questions about Monsters Inc.
- What is Monsters Inc. about?
- Who are the main characters in Monsters Inc.?
- Where does Monsters Inc. take place?
- Who is Sulley’s best friend?
- What is Boo’s real name in the movie?
- What do monsters in Monsters Inc. do for a living?
- Why do monsters scare children in the movie?
- What is Boo scared of in the movie?
- What happens when a child’s laughter is used as energy?
- Who is the main antagonist in Monsters Inc.?
- How does the monster world view children?
- What is the name of the company in which Sulley and Mike work?
- What is special about Sulley’s fur?
- What weapon do monsters use to enter children’s bedrooms?
- Why does Boo follow Sulley and Mike back to the monster world?
- How do Sulley and Mike try to return Boo to her own world?
- What lesson does the main character, Sulley, learn during the movie?
- Who directed Monsters Inc.?
- When was Monsters Inc. released?
- What is your favorite scene or character in the movie?
Advanced ESL Questions about Monsters Inc.
- What is the main plot of the movie Monsters Inc.?
- How do the monsters generate energy in the Monster world?
- What is the role of scare teams in Monsters Inc.?
- How does the main character, Sulley, change throughout the movie?
- What is Boo’s real name, and why is it significant?
- Do you think Monsters Inc. portrays monsters as scary or friendly? Explain.
- What role does laughter play in the Monster world?
- Why does Randall, the antagonist, try to capture Boo?
- What is the name of the restaurant where Mike takes his girlfriend, Celia?
- What is the significance of the red door in the movie?
- How does the relationship between Sulley and Boo evolve throughout the movie?
- Do you think the portrayal of monsters in Monsters Inc. is similar to other animated films? Explain.
- What is the function of the Child Detection Agency (CDA) in the Monster world?
- How does Monsters Inc. address themes of friendship and teamwork?
- Why is Sulley considered the top scarer at Monsters Inc.?
- How does Boo’s presence in the Monster world disrupt normal operations at Monsters Inc.?
- What is the importance of the character Roz in the movie?
- How does the movie explore the concept of hidden fears?
- What moral lessons can be derived from Monsters Inc.?
- How does the ending of the movie reflect the overall message of the story?
ESL Reading Activities About Monsters Inc
Beginner ESL Activities About Monsters Inc
Monsters Inc is a popular animated movie that tells the story of creatures who work at a company called Monsters Inc. These monsters have a very important job – they scare children! But they soon discover that scaring isn’t the best way to power their city. The movie follows the adventures of two main characters, Mike and Sulley, as they try to solve this problem and help their company. Let’s learn some vocabulary words related to Monsters Inc:
Creatures that are often scary or imaginary
Short for “Incorporated,” which means a company
Made using special techniques to create moving pictures
To make someone feel frightened or scared
Youthful human beings who are not yet adults
To find or learn something that was not known before
Exciting or unusual experiences
The people or creatures who appear in a story or movie
To find a solution or answer to a problem
To assist or support someone in need
Intermediate ESL Activities About Monsters Inc
Monsters Inc is a popular animated film that tells the story of a world inhabited by monsters who generate power by scaring children. The main characters include Sulley, a large blue monster with purple spots, and his best friend Mike Wazowski, who is a small green cyclops. They work at Monsters Incorporated, a company that collects children’s screams to power their city. However, their lives take an unexpected turn when a little girl named Boo accidentally enters the monster world.
In the movie, Boo manages to melt Sulley’s heart, and he becomes attached to her. With the help of Mike and their friends, Sulley must find a way to return Boo to her own world before she is discovered by the other monsters. Along the way, they face numerous challenges and hilarious situations that keep audiences entertained.
The film teaches the valuable lesson that appearances can be deceiving. At first, the monsters are afraid of children, assuming they are toxic and dangerous, but they soon realize that children’s laughter is more powerful than their screams. They also discover that Boo is not a threat, but a friend who brings joy and laughter into their lives.
Monsters Inc is an excellent choice for intermediate ESL students as it contains simple language and an engaging storyline. It can be used as a springboard for various activities in the classroom. For example, students can write a summary of the movie or discuss the messages and themes portrayed in the film. They can also describe the appearance and characteristics of the different monsters using the highlighted vocabulary words:
occupied or lived in by
produce or create
causing fear or fright
a creature with a single eye
abbreviation for incorporated, indicating a company
happening by chance or mistake
emotionally connected or fond of someone
found or encountered something unexpectedly
causing someone to believe something that is not true
represented or shown
By incorporating Monsters Inc into the ESL classroom, students can improve their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and speaking skills while enjoying a fun and entertaining story.
Advanced ESL Activities About Monsters Inc
Monsters Inc is an animated film created by Pixar Animation Studios. Released in 2001, it tells the story of a world where monsters exist and thrive on the screams of children to power their energy needs. In this imaginative world, monsters have jobs and careers just like humans. The main characters are Mike Wazowski, a lovable green monster with one eye, and Sully, a big and fluffy blue monster with a heart of gold. Together, they work at Monsters Inc, a company that generates energy from fear.
The movie is filled with amusing and heartwarming moments as Mike and Sully embark on an adventure to return a little girl named Boo, who unknowingly finds her way into the monster world, back to her own world. Along the way, they discover that laughter can produce even more powerful energy than screams. This realization challenges the beliefs of the monster society and ultimately leads to a positive change.
The film not only provides entertainment but also explores important themes such as friendship, empathy, and teamwork. It teaches lessons about the value of compassion and understanding those who may be different from us. Monsters Inc has become a beloved classic, captivating audiences of all ages with its clever storytelling and memorable characters.
made into a movie or television show using drawings, computer graphics, or photographs of objects that are slightly changed between each frame
to grow or develop well, or to be successful or healthy
having or showing new and exciting ideas
easy to love because of being friendly, pleasant, or attractive
soft and like wool, or similar to it
heart of gold
used to describe someone who is very kind and generous
to start something new, especially a big project or journey
a strong feeling of sympathy and sadness for the suffering or bad luck of others and a wish to help them
sympathetic awareness or tolerance
attracting and holding interest or attention
ESL Writing Activities About Monsters Inc
Beginner ESL Writing Questions about Monsters Inc
1. Who are the main characters in Monsters Inc?
2. What is the job of the monsters in the movie?
3. How do the monsters scare children?
4. Can you name any other Pixar movies?
5. Do you think the monsters in the movie are scary or funny? Why?
Intermediate ESL Writing Questions about Monsters Inc
1. How does the character of Boo change the story in Monsters Inc?
2. Describe the relationship between the two main characters, Mike and Sulley.
3. What is the message or theme of the movie?
4. How does the movie portray the emotions and motivations of the monsters?
5. Discuss the role of laughter and humor in the movie and how it contrasts with fear and scaring.
Advanced ESL Writing Questions about Monsters Inc
1. Analyze the character development of Sulley throughout the movie.
2. How does Monsters Inc satirize or comment on the real world and its institutions?
3. Discuss the role of technology in the movie and its impact on the monsters’ society.
4. Explain how the movie explores the concept of energy and its implications on the monster world.
5. Critically analyze the use of storytelling and narrative structure in Monsters Inc, and how it contributes to the overall impact of the film.
ESL Roleplay Activities about Monsters Inc
1. Character Interview: Students can take on the role of various characters from Monsters Inc and interview each other. They can ask and answer questions about their likes, dislikes, hobbies, and favorite scare techniques. This activity helps students practice asking and answering questions in English while also getting to know the characters from the movie.
2. Monster Job Interview: In this roleplay activity, students can imagine that they are applying for a job at Monsters Inc. They can take turns being the interviewer and the interviewee. The interviewer can ask questions related to the job position, such as their experience scaring children or their problem-solving skills. This activity helps students practice job interview skills and vocabulary related to professions.
3. Monster Emergency: Students can act out a scenario where a monster from Monsters Inc encounters an emergency situation, such as a lost child or a power outage. They can take turns playing different roles, including the scared child, the confused monster, and the helpful bystander. This activity helps students practice expressing emotions, giving instructions, and problem-solving in English.
4. Monster Debate: Divide the class into two groups and assign each group a side to debate about a specific topic related to Monsters Inc, such as whether monsters should scare children or whether laughter is a better energy source than screams. Students can take turns presenting arguments, countering their opponents, and providing evidence to support their claims. This activity helps students practice persuasive speaking, critical thinking, and constructing arguments in English.
5. Monster Skit: In small groups, students can create and perform a short skit based on a scene from Monsters Inc. They can act out interactions between the characters, improvising dialogue and gestures. This activity encourages creativity, collaboration, and using English in a practical and fun way.