Hey there, fellow ESL teachers! Are you searching for a fun and engaging topic to capture your students’ attention in the classroom? Look no further than “The Emperor’s New Groove”! This animated comedy film, released by Disney in 2000, is a hilarious and heartwarming story that will surely captivate your students. With its fascinating characters, witty dialogue, and valuable life lessons, “The Emperor’s New Groove” is not only a great choice for a movie day, but also a fantastic tool for teaching English as a second language. So, let’s dive into the enchanting world of this beloved film and discover the wealth of educational opportunities it offers!
ESL Speaking Questions About The Emperor’s New Groove
Beginner ESL Questions about the Emperor’s New Groove
- What is the title of the movie we are talking about?
- Who is the main character in the movie?
- What is the name of the emperor in the movie?
- What kind of animal does the emperor turn into?
- Who helps the emperor on his journey?
- What is the name of the emperor’s advisor?
- Where does the movie take place?
- What problem does the emperor face in the movie?
- Who is the emperor’s friend in the movie?
- Why does the emperor trust his advisor?
- What does the emperor learn throughout the movie?
- What does the emperor realize is more important than power?
- What job does the emperor have at the start of the movie?
- Why does the emperor want to change his life?
- What does the emperor’s advisor do to him?
- What does the emperor need to find in order to turn back into a human?
- Who does the emperor fall in love with during his journey?
- What does the emperor learn from his experiences?
- How does the emperor become a better person by the end of the movie?
- What is your favorite part of the movie and why?
Intermediate ESL Questions about the Emperor’s New Groove:
- What is the title of the movie “The Emperor’s New Groove” in your native language?
- Can you summarize the main plot of the movie?
- Who are the main characters in the movie?
- What are some characteristics of the Emperor Kuzco?
- What happens to Emperor Kuzco that leads to the main conflict of the story?
- Who is Yzma and what is her role in the movie?
- Describe the relationship between Kuzco and his advisor, Pacha.
- How does Kuzco’s attitude change throughout the movie?
- What are some lessons that Kuzco learns throughout the story?
- How does the relationship between Kuzco and Pacha develop throughout the movie?
- What challenges do Kuzco and Pacha face together?
- How does Kuzco’s transformation impact his perspective on life?
- What are some humorous moments in the movie?
- What are some of the obstacles the characters face in their quest?
- What role does the llama play in the movie?
- Describe the final confrontation between Kuzco and Yzma.
- What is the moral or lesson that can be learned from the movie?
- How does the movie use humor to entertain the audience?
- Does “The Emperor’s New Groove” remind you of any other movies or stories?
- Would you recommend this movie to a friend? Why or why not?
Advanced ESL Questions about the Emperor’s New Groove
- What is the main character’s name in the movie?
- Can you briefly describe the plot of the Emperor’s New Groove?
- How would you describe the relationship between Kuzco and Pacha?
- What is the name of the villain in the movie?
- What are some of the lessons you can learn from the Emperor’s New Groove?
- How does Kuzco’s character change throughout the film?
- Can you identify any humorous moments in the movie?
- What are some of the challenges that Kuzco faces on his journey?
- How does Pacha help Kuzco along the way?
- What role does Yzma play in the story?
- What are some of the defining characteristics of the Emperor’s New Groove?
- How do the visuals and animation enhance the storytelling in the film?
- Do you think the Emperor’s New Groove is more suitable for children or adults? Why?
- What are some common themes explored in the movie?
- Can you discuss any memorable quotes from the Emperor’s New Groove?
- How does the movie balance humor and heartwarming moments?
- What are some of the cultural references or elements that you noticed in the film?
- Do you think the Emperor’s New Groove has a positive message overall? Why or why not?
- How does the soundtrack contribute to the overall mood of the movie?
- Would you recommend the Emperor’s New Groove to others? Why or why not?
ESL Reading Activities About The Emperor’s New Groove
Beginner ESL Activities About the Emperor’s New Groove
Once upon a time, there was an emperor who loved his kingdom. He had a special groove that made him unique. The emperor enjoyed dancing, singing, and making people laugh. His favorite activity was throwing parties for his friends, who loved his groove too.
One day, a group of tricksters came to the emperor’s kingdom. They claimed to be master tailors who could sew the most amazing clothes. They said the clothes they made were so special that only wise people could see them. The emperor was excited and wanted to have clothes made by them.
The tricksters pretended to be working on the emperor’s new clothes. They held up invisible fabric and made sewing motions with their hands. The emperor, not wanting to appear foolish, pretended to see the clothes and praised their incredible work.
The day of the grand celebration arrived, and the emperor proudly wore his new clothes. As he walked through the streets, the town’s people stared in awe, afraid to admit they couldn’t see anything. A little boy, however, spoke up and said, “The emperor is naked!” The truth spread, and everyone realized they had been tricked.
The emperor learned a valuable lesson that day. He realized his true groove wasn’t in what he wore or the parties he threw. It was in the joy he brought to others. From that day on, the emperor embraced his unique personality and shared his groove with the world.
The ruler of an empire or kingdom.
A special talent or way of doing things.
Moving one’s body rhythmically to music.
Using one’s voice to produce musical sounds.
To make sounds or show happiness or amusement.
People who play tricks or deceive others.
People who make or mend clothes.
Unable to be seen.
Lacking good sense or judgment.
A feeling of wonder or admiration.
Intermediate ESL Activities About the Emperor’s New Groove
Once upon a time in the faraway land of Peru, there was a haughty and self-centered emperor named Kuzco. He lived a lavish life in his grand palace, surrounded by servants who catered to his every whim. Kuzco’s days were filled with indulgence and luxury, and he had a reputation for being quite arrogant.
One fateful day, Kuzco’s life took an unexpected turn when he was transformed into a llama by his scheming advisor, Yzma. Suddenly, the mighty emperor found himself in a world he never knew existed, with no power or authority. Confused and helpless, Kuzco stumbled upon a kind-hearted peasant named Pacha, who agreed to help him find a way to regain his human form.
As they embarked on a thrilling adventure, Kuzco began to realize the errors of his ways. He learned the importance of humility, compassion, and friendship. Along the way, they encountered various challenges and met colorful characters, such as Kronk, Yzma’s bumbling sidekick, and Chicha, Pacha’s resourceful wife.
Through their journey, Kuzco discovered the true meaning of friendship and the value of treating others with kindness. Will he ever regain his original form? Will he become a better ruler, should he regain his position of power? These questions are answered in this delightful and heartwarming tale of self-discovery.
Highlighted Vocabulary Words:
having or showing arrogant superiority
only concerned about oneself; selfish
sumptuously rich, elaborate, or luxurious
a sudden desire or change of mind
planning or plotting in a secretive or devious manner
the power or right to give orders, make decisions, or enforce obedience
having the ability to find quick and clever ways to overcome difficulties
acting in a clumsy or inept way
evoking feelings of happiness, satisfaction, or sympathy
the process of becoming aware of one’s own character, feelings, and motives
Feel free to explore this fascinating tale through discussions, comprehension exercises, and creative writing activities, all centered around The Emperor’s New Groove. Enjoy the journey!
Advanced ESL Activities About the Emperor’s New Groove
Once upon a time, in the kingdom of Peru, there lived an emperor named Kuzco. He was a young and arrogant ruler who loved having fun and being the center of attention. However, his life took an unexpected turn when he was transformed into a llama by his evil advisor, Yzma, who wanted to take over the throne. This event marked the beginning of Kuzco’s adventure to regain his human form and his empire.
During his journey, Kuzco meets a kind-hearted peasant named Pacha, who becomes his unexpected ally. Together, they face various challenges and encounters with quirky characters. From a chipper squirrel named Kronk to a sassy and witty llama herder, they keep Kuzco company as he learns valuable life lessons. With Pacha’s help, Kuzco begins to realize the true meaning of friendship, humility, and the importance of putting others before himself.
The Emperor’s New Groove is a light-hearted and humorous animation film that appeals to both children and adults. Its simple yet engaging storyline ensures that viewers are entertained while also incorporating valuable life lessons. The film’s colorful and vibrant animation style adds to its appeal, capturing the essence of the Peruvian culture and creating a visually pleasing experience.
This reading extract introduces ten useful words related to The Emperor’s New Groove. Here they are:
A ruler of an empire or a large kingdom.
Having an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance or abilities.
Changed in form or appearance.
A person who provides advice or guidance.
To gain control of something, usually by force or strategic planning.
Individuals or groups who cooperate with and support each other.
Difficult tasks or situations that require effort, skill, or courage to overcome.
Characterized by peculiarity or odd traits.
A South American animal known for its wool and often domesticated as a pack animal.
The quality of being humble, modest, or unpretentious.
ESL Writing Activities About The Emperor’s New Groove
Beginner ESL Writing Questions about The Emperor’s New Groove
1. Who are the main characters in The Emperor’s New Groove?
2. Describe the personality of Emperor Kuzco.
3. What is the main conflict in the movie?
4. How does Kuzco’s attitude change throughout the story?
5. Imagine you are one of the characters in the movie. Write about a funny situation you would like to be in.
Intermediate ESL Writing Questions about The Emperor’s New Groove
1. How does the character of Yzma contribute to the story?
2. Explain the relationship between Kuzco and Pacha.
3. Describe the setting of The Emperor’s New Groove and its importance to the plot.
4. If you were in Kuzco’s position, what lessons would you have learned by the end of the movie?
5. Write a short paragraph on the significance of the llama in the movie and its symbolism.
Advanced ESL Writing Questions about The Emperor’s New Groove
1. Analyze the character development of Kuzco throughout the movie.
2. Discuss the use of humor in The Emperor’s New Groove and its impact on the overall story.
3. Compare and contrast the relationship between Kuzco and Pacha with other unlikely duos in movies.
4. How does the movie incorporate elements of different genres? Provide examples.
5. Write a critical review of The Emperor’s New Groove, discussing its strengths and weaknesses.
ESL Roleplay Activities about The Emperor’s New Groove
1. The Royal Banquet: In this roleplay activity, students can pretend to be characters from The Emperor’s New Groove, such as Kuzco, Yzma, or Pacha. Each student will have a role and interact with others at a grand royal banquet. They can practice greetings, introductions, making requests, and polite conversation.
2. Kuzco’s Transformation: Students can act out the scene where Kuzco is transformed into a llama by Yzma. One student can play the role of Kuzco, while another can take on the character of Yzma. The students can practice using interrogative and affirmative sentences to describe the transformation and discuss their feelings.
3. The Quest for the Potion: Students can imagine themselves as Kuzco and Pacha on a quest to find the potion that will turn Kuzco back into a human. They can practice giving and following directions, asking for help, and making suggestions. Students can take turns playing different characters and scenarios.
4. Yzma’s Revenge: In this roleplay activity, students can take on the roles of various characters and reenact the scene where Yzma tries to exact her revenge on Kuzco. They can practice expressing emotions, giving warnings, and negotiating with each other.
5. The Happy Ending: Students can create their own version of the ending of The Emperor’s New Groove. They can imagine what happens after Kuzco becomes a better emperor and reestablishes a good relationship with Pacha. Students will have the opportunity to use their creativity and language skills to act out a joyful and positive conclusion to the story.